3/25/11

0 Talk About Moving Stuff Around . . .

I made a quick trip to the Food Lion this morning for some milk (for my coffee and my cereal) and for some boxed wine (more about that topic later), and this is what greeted me upon arriving at the grocery store parking lot. 
Now this is what I call moving stuff around. I mean, can you imagine unloading this stuff, putting it together, running it for a few days, then having to take it all apart, re-load it, and drive off with it to some other grocery store parking lot in some other small town, only to have to repeat the whole process again and again? I may move chairs around, but this really takes it to a whole new level.










Yes, there’s something bleak and dreary about a fully-assembled-but-entirely-vacant traveling carnival, especially at 9:00 in the morning.

It’s like the first time you saw the inside of your favorite college bar during the day. It’s not nearly as flashy or inviting (unless your favorite college bar also happens to serve very good brunch, which is rare). 

And then there's just something strange and wildly inappropriate about a spinning ride named "scat."



Because I try to look for the best in people, I'm just going to assume that they used the last light-bulb-encrusted "c" on the "scat" ride. (Seriously, don’t get me started about incorrectly spelled words. As if we don’t have enough trouble as it is educating our children.)











Seeing the carnival this morning reminded me of the scene at the end of the movie Big when 30 year-old Josh (played by Tom Hanks) goes out to Sea Point Park on a wintry, off-season day to find the Zoltar Speaks machine so he can make a wish again and return to being 13 years old. What a great movie.












I’m pretty sure I wasn’t allowed to ride on these types of things as a kid, and you know what? Good decision, mom and dad. I mean, I don’t know about you, but this really doesn't scream safety to me.

Despite all of the foregoing, for some reason, seeing all of this in the Food Lion parking lot this morning actually made today feel a lot more like Friday. (Or maybe it could just be the fact that I’m taking the day off from work.)  

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...