4/10/11

3 Strawberry Season

It’s strawberry season in South Carolina (which typically runs from mid-March to the beginning of June), and this year, in addition to visiting a pick-your-own farm, which I hope to do as a part of my effort to pay more attention to the origins of the stuff I eat, why not also plant a strawberry pot?   


Strawberry pots are those funny-looking, urn-shaped pots with holes in the sides (commonly referred to as pockets) that you likely have seen wherever you purchase your gardening goods. Although they are made especially for growing strawberries, they are also great for growing herbs or flowers (or other plants that like to hang out a bit). 



When you purchase a strawberry pot, try to find one with a drainage hole in the bottom so the plants’ roots do not sit in water and rot. And when picking out plants other than strawberries, make sure to choose plants with similar growing requirements. (Consider sunlight, soil, water, and fertilizer needs.) You can choose a different plant for each pocket and a couple of different plants for the top of the pot. 
Start planting the pot by filling the bottom with potting soil up to the point where the first pocket begins. Place a plant in that pocket. Continue planting the pockets all the way until you reach a couple of inches from the top of the pot, where you can squeeze in the remaining plants and add a thin layer of soil.

Strawberry pots are easy and fun, particularly if you do not have a lot of space for a garden, and I think they make a great addition to any porch or outdoor living space. To add extra interest, consider themes for your pot, such as Italian or French herbs or flowers of one color. Most importantly, have fun! 


My mom and I love sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening, and her recently-planted strawberry pot (filled with herbs she commonly uses in the kitchen) is sure to make us want to linger on the white wicker just a little bit longer.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MSA - Girl I love the strawberry pot. I did not have a clue what they were. Maybe I'll find one..You must be moving your blog stuff around, I loved the pup stuff. Otis R. would be quite proud. I have stuck tooth picks into an avocado pit. The pit was already cracked so I thought it might have a good chance. You have a big green thumb. Please get your mom to show us how her strawberry/herb pot is doing. Thanks, nester. Oh, the library section on your blog? Please explain. Good reads? The photo of you and your friend with pups is great. I wondered if your were young and pretty. Yes to both. I have a request, if that is o.k. Do you have any simple sewing projects for little girls? Would small quilts be too difficult? I'll bet you sew. Anyway, I have some fabric pieces and very precious and curious little girl friends. Thanks, and keep on moving stuff around. Read ya' soon. Your friend is cute too.

Anonymous said...

Love the new site design! So inviting. Really looks professional.

Nester said...

Thanks! It's a work in progress, and I'm learning a lot as I go. Keep checking back for more changes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...