5/3/11

0 Line 'em up!

If you're like me and you like stuff (a lot of it at that), then you know that it sometimes can be a bit of a challenge to find appropriate places to put all of your stuff. And this challenge extends to potted plants, too. 


I am crazy for potted plants, and I often have a hard time finding shelves, tables, or other suitable surfaces on which to place them. (Zelda has a thing for potting soil so they must be placed out of her way.) Well, the other day when I was walking I came across a very original solution for a where-do-I-put-my-outdoor-potted-plants challenge. When I first walked by this yard, I must admit that I did a confused double take, but after contemplating it, I have to say that this lady's (or gentleman's, I guess) solution has grown on me immensely. In fact, I think I'd like to enjoy a morning or an evening beverage in this yard, and that, in my opinion, is the sign of a nice outdoor space. 


According to my imagination, the woman who lives here (a nice lady, I am sure) found herself positively overwhelmed with loads of potted plants and no good places for them, and I think she just said, "well, to heck with the driveway," and she simply lined up her plants down the middle of it. (This reminds me a bit of coming home from trick-or-treating and lining up my teeth-rotting loot in rows on the carpet. Remember that, dad?)


There's just something so great about a plant growing in a broken pot. It's the sheer determination, I guess, like weeds growing in cracked asphalt. That gets me every time.


Next, my imagination thinks that the nice lady said, "well, while I'm at it, to heck with the joggling board. No one's used that thing in ages." (If you're not from around here, a joggling board is a long, pliable, wooden board -- usually painted Charleston green -- that is supported on each end with a wooden rocking stand. Legend has it that the first joggling board was built in the early nineteenth century at Acton Plantation in Sumter, South Carolina, because Mrs. Huger suffered severely from rheumatism and needed a mechanism for gentle exercise to make her carriage rides more comfortable. I've never seen a joggling board outside of South Carolina, but I imagine there are a few.)  




And then (perhaps because I, myself, have a tendency to spray paint all of the random bits of wood that I find), I think that the nice lady just gathered up all of the old slats of wood that she could find and went to town with some white spray paint to create makeshift tables for the rest of her potted plants. (Despite my initial confused double take, I must say that I've never seen this done before, and I love an original idea as much as the next guy. Is it possible that original ideas are becoming more and more difficult to come by these days?)



Are there any interesting yards like this in your neighborhood? Or do you have any creative backyard solutions that you'd like to share with me? If so, then send me an email or leave me a comment below.


P.S. I wonder what the neighbors think of the nice lady's outdoor-potted-plants solution. Their yard seems a bit more, um, polished and particular, in comparison, but to each his own, right? Or, as my mom says, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla and strawberry and . . . . 


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...