5/5/11

2 Trash Transformed


Do you remember that piece of wood that I found by the side of the road and spray painted white? And those bottle caps I showed you? (We began collecting bottle caps a couple of years ago to use as markers for the BINGO cards at my birthday party; the party was in a bar after all. Anyway, it seems that once you start collecting something, it's awfully hard to stop, so we have about a thousand spare bottle caps hanging around.)
After painting the wooden board, I knew exactly what I wanted to do; I wanted to make a sign for a very special beach house called the Creek Connection. To make the sign, I gathered the following supplies: letter stencils, which I found for about $3 at Tuesday Morning; a black paint pen, which I paid about $4 for at Michael's; a pencil; two boxes of small steel nails for about $2 a piece at Lowe's; two eye bolts and some hanging wire, which I had on hand; and a ruler. This project is straightforward so I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves. (Plus, my readers are very smart, this I know.)









Now, for those of you who don't know me, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist. Did you notice the smudge by the "L" in welcome? (Explanation: minor paint pen explosion.) Well, I tried to fix it with nail polish remover and Q-tips, and I thought I could live with it, but then, after a car ride to the beach, the "C" and the "O" started looking pretty rough too. (See below.) So, I headed to the hardware store, picked up another can of spray paint (I always like to have a can or two on hand anyway in case I pick up something else from the side of the road that needs a facelift), and I went about fixing the smudges. (It's true that a project is never quite as simple as you think it will be.) I also added some eye bolts and picture hanging wire. I may need to add a thicker wire if the wood turns out to be too heavy for the current wire, but that's an easy fix.

















And here's the finished product! I shared it with the lady of the beach house for her recent birthday, and I hope she likes it. 




See, one man's trash really is another man's treasure beach house welcome sign. Now, if I can just figure out what to do with the rest of those bottle caps. Maybe it's simply time for another BINGO party. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! Do you think the wire will support the weight of it? What about some of those saw-tooth hangers mounted on the back?

Nan said...

I thought about the sawtooth hangers, but I think they can make things more difficult because you usually put one on each side, and then you've really got to measure when you hang your nails because otherwise the whole thing will hang crookedly. Whereas, with the wire, you just use one nail, and it will hang evenly. Anyway, you can find thicker wire for hanging heavier items, which I will do if need be, but I actually think it might be okay as is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...