5/17/11

1 Window Treatment

Have you ever wondered what to do with an old window? Nevermind, don't answer that. I'm pretty sure there aren't too many of us (people who wonder what to do with old windows, that is) out there. Nevertheless, I thought I'd share some pictures of what to do with an old window.  






A year or so ago, I stumbled across a pile of old windows in the trash in front of this lovely house. (The owners were upgrading to more efficient windows it seems.) Well, you all know how I feel about salvageable items in trash piles; there's just no shame in it for me. So I picked up one of the old windows and headed home with it.


I added some claw hangers to the back, and voila, a windowless wall is windowless no more.





If hanging a blank window on a wall is just too much for you, then what about hanging one on the front porch, like this? (This house is actually across the street from the house pictured above.)

Speaking of hanging windows on porches, you probably remember this picture from a recent entry. Notice the green stained glass window hanging on the wall behind Baby Zelda?


Here's a better picture of the green window. (I told Zelda to look at the camera, but she was being a bit stubborn. Her new 'do seems to have multiplied her sass factor.)


Well, when my mom wanted to create some additional privacy on the porch, she painted three old windows to match the green stained glass window, added hooks and chains, and hung them up side by side.

Talk about an inexpensive, creative way to add privacy to this outdoor area, and as you can tell, this porch is one of Zelda's very favorite places to relax. (It's one of my very favorite places to relax, too, especially when my precious baby-dog falls asleep on my lap.)

Speaking of stained glass, we just can't get enough of it. 



And last week, my sweet sister was kind enough to share with me two pieces of stained glass that she was no longer using. 



I used to have very mismatched (differently sized even) pieces of stained glass hanging in these windows, but I think these two similar pieces look much better here. Although they're similar, they're not identical, which suits me just fine because I'm not into being super match-matchy. (By the way, the very mismatched pieces that used to hang in these windows are now hanging in my bathroom, although they're subject to being moved again as I'm not entirely sold on their new location.)


It seems that I could go on and on about windows, but I'll spare you. For now, at least. But if you've ever found yourself wondering what to do with an old window (and then perhaps wondering why you're wondering about what to do with an old window), then rest assured. You're not alone.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, "pho" (faux) windows. Is that sorta like pho-cycling? That is a new Olympic event, so I hear. Love what you chicks and hen do with old windows. Nothing "pho" about your blog. Love it. kiup

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...