6/8/11

5 Gift Ideas for the Dog Lovers in Your Life

Between Heidi and Zelda (and all of the other precious dogs in our lives), Tod and I are always discovering great products for dogs. So I thought that, just for fun, I'd share a list of some great gift ideas for the dog lovers you know. (Yes, I know, Christmas is a long way away, but random, non-special-occasion gifts are pretty fun if you ask me.)

Here you go, in no particular order.

 1. I know it's going to seem like I'm some kind of undercover L.L. Bean peddler, but honestly, these products are just tried and true, and they're the first things that come to my mind when I think of great dog gifts. First, what about a monogrammed boat tote? Heidi and Zelda each have one, and it makes traveling with all of their food, leashes, and other gear such a piece of cake. (Added bonus: these things are still made in America, which is such a rare thing these days.)



Or consider an L.L. Bean dog bed. They're a bit more expensive than the beds you'll find at the box stores, but they're worth it. With some beds, I've had to rub treats on them and lie down on them myself to get the girls to use them, but not with the Bean beds. Seriously, when Zelda got hers, Heidi immediately hopped on it to show her baby sister how it's done (Heidi's Bean bed is more appropriately sized for her), and Zelda soon took over. (Added bonus: I believe the inserts are still made in America.)

Lastly for L.L. Bean, the personalized web collars and leashes are great. You can include the dog's name and a phone number, and they come in such happy colors. 





2. DNA testing kits. Yep, you read that right, I said DNA testing. (Obviously this gift would only be appropriate for the mutt lovers out there.) Several companies (such as Canine Heritage and Wisdom Panel) offer this service (just google "dog DNA testing"), and it's a very simple process. Once you receive the package in the mail with instructions, you swab your dog's cheek as instructed and then return the swabs to the lab in the provided envelopes. Six to eight weeks later you'll receive the results. We've had both Heidi and Zelda DNA tested, and it's really a lot of fun. (Heidi is a rottweiler/Australian Shepherd mix, and Zelda is a Pomeranian/Miniature Schnauzer mix.)  


3. The Thunder Shirt. Our sweet girl, Heidi, has a bit of anxiety (understatement). During thunderstorms, I used to put an old t-shirt of mine on her, but she'd always get sort of tangled up in it. Problem solved: the Thunder Shirt has velcro and is stretchy and tight-fitting, which apparently helps dogs feel secure. On any given stormy day, this is where you can find sweet Heidi, in the bathtub, her very own shelter from the storm. 


4. Matching dog and owner pajamas. No, I'm not kidding about this. Last year, The Company Store offered flannel pajamas for the whole family (dogs included), and Zelda and I were lucky enough to get some for Christmas from my sister. I'm not ashamed to say it; I cried a little bit when I opened them because I was so excited. (Yes, you know you've completely lost it when a set of matching owner/dog pajamas bring tears to your eyes. Alas, I'll save you from having to see a teary-eyed Christmas pic of us in our matching jammies.)


5. Kyjen Hide-a-Squirrel Puzzle Toy. This one reminds me of the Woodsies toy I had as a kid, but it's definitely a hit for any toy-loving dog (and it comes in several sizes). It's all-around adorable, and Heidi and Zelda have had a lot of fun playing with (and eating) theirs. And if I'm not mistaken, this company also makes bees-in-a-hive, turtles-on-a-log, and birds-in-a-nest, just to name a few. (Added bonus: you can buy replacement squirrels if your dog goes to town on any of them like Heidi and Zelda have been known to do.)



6. The Furminator. These things are simply amazing. Seriously, you'll be delighted by how much easier it is to keep your dog's shedding under control once you start using one of these. They come in several different sizes (even for cats, too, I think), and every dog owner who owns a big shedder and has to wear suits to work should have one!


Alright, I think that's enough for now, but I'm sure I'll think of about five more after I publish this post! Oh well, I can always update it later. 


But here's what I want to know now: what are your favorite dog-related gifts? 

5 comments:

* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
* said...

There are tons of great dog "presents," many made in the good ol' U. S. of A.

I love Zep-Pro dog collars. They are a company that makes fishing products primarily, like belts with marlins and the like, but the dog collars and leashes are so fun! Nautical flags, fish, colleges, you name it. http://www.zeppro.com/pet_products.html

Don't forget a Chuckit! if you're lucky enough to have a dog that fetches: http://www.caninehardware.com/#/product/launchers
(Heidi just chases the ball and does her own thing with it.)

And I don't have one, but I really admire Filson dog beds. The L.L. Bean beds are awesome, but given the dead squirrel Heidi proudly found today, maybe she needs a bed by the top manufacturer of hunting gear in America.
http://www.filson.com/products/dog-bed-36-.90116.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=collections/filson-dog&fmetaProduct=cc15

Nan said...

Yo, why'd you post an anonymous comment if you're going to talk about Heidi? We know who you are, Tod.

But seriously, thanks for the comment. I don't get too many so I'll take whatever I can get!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I LOVED the Woodsies when I was a kid - and I probably haven't thought about them in 10 years. I had the little plush log they lived in and everything...Thanks for the memory! LAJC

Nan said...

I love that you loved the Woodsies -- no one seems to know what I'm talking about when I mention them! I guess that's one of those children's toys that went by the wayside. Such a shame if you ask me. Maybe my parents still have them in storage somewhere!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...