6/19/11

3 Weekends are the best.

First of all, I want to wish everyone a happy fathers' day! I hope all the dads out there got to do something fun this weekend.


And speaking of doing something fun this weekend, all I can say is that Tod and I packed about as much fun into this weekend as is humanly possible (which is proven by the length of this blog post).


Thanks to our girl Heidi, we were up with the sun on Saturday morning, so we beat the heat by hitting the farmers market early. (I love the Charleston farmers market; remember this post?) And thanks to a very sweet mothers' day gift from Heidi and Zelda, we've now got two beach cruisers in Charleston instead of one, so we were able to travel in style all weekend. 








The farmers market was a hit (as always). The tomatoes were out in full force, perhaps even showing off a bit, but who can blame 'em? And I was smitten with the bin of shucked silver queen corn.






Check out the parade of heirloom tomatoes marching down the table; they seem proud to be in Marion Square, probably hoping to end up on a slice of white bread slathered in mayonnaise.


And as I've told y'all before, one of the great things about the farmers market is that it offers so much more than beautiful produce. It also offers a ton of smells-so-good-it-makes-you-hungry prepared food and a wide array of handmade gifts and art. I discover something new every time I go to the market, like the Greek gyro man and the Vietnamese taco booth that I saw this time. (What the heck are Vietnamese tacos by the way? I guess I'll have to give them a try soon.)




With respect to the handmade gifts and art, one of the things I most appreciate is the way each artist sets up his or her booth to present his or her handiwork. Presentation does matter, I think. And because I'm a fan of pretty much all things creative, I love to think that in some sort of alternate reality I would forego the world of business suits to try my hand at making something worthy of being sold en masse at the Charleston farmers market.  









This weekend, we stumbled across a couple of young table makers, who make simple but astoundingly beautiful tables from old, reclaimed wood. We walked away saying things like, "how cool that they're doing that," and "I love how excited they are to talk about their work." Pretty quickly, these conversations inevitably turned into, "wow, I wonder if we could do something like that?" 


And you know, I'm pretty sure we could. But for now, I think we're pretty content to just walk through the market and have those "I wonder" conversations, because that's actually a great way to appreciate the people among us who've learned to make things, and who've taken the risk of sharing their handiwork with others.    


We also particularly enjoyed talking to the young lady (Lauren Shuler) who makes dog leashes and collars. (Remember this picture from my previous farmers market post?) And for this weekend's farmers market treat, we decided to grab a pair of adorable and reasonably-priced collars for the girls. Zelda's is green with black and white sheep, and Heidi's is pink with pigs. We realized after the fact that it should have been the other way around as Heidi is part shepherd and Zelda has some piggish tendencies (understatement). I told the girls to sit still and model their new jewelry for the camera! (I think Zelda must have been worried about having a double chin.)









After the market, we headed to the library, where the Friends of the Library was hosting a quarterly book sale. I just love used book sales.



Then it was off to Ted's Butcherblock for a BBQ block party with bluegrass music by the Bushels.  





Because who doesn't love spending a Saturday afternoon outside listening to good music, drinking good beer (Westbrook white thai to be specific), and eating good food (burgers and kielbasa with pimento cheese and all sorts of other fixin's)?
For an additional dose of fun, someone from the Post & Courier (The Scene section) snapped our pic; you can check it out here.


After the block party, we biked back over to King Street and spent some time walking up and down the street going in and out of shops to look at things and sometimes just to feel the air conditioning.


When we'd had enough shopping, we headed back home to take the girls to the park to play. After a short nap (and a mini meltdown when Zelda wet the bed mid-nap), we cleaned up and decided to head back out on the bikes in search of supper. We ended up stopping at a new place, Leaf, which has taken over the old downtown Vickery's (although there's not even the smallest trace of the old Vickery's in the new design). The owner of one of Zelda's dog park buddies has been working on opening the place for a while, and we were glad to give it a try. The location is great, as was the service and the food (killer Greek salad by the way). We sat at the bar and enjoyed chatting with the staff and the other bar patrons, and Tod and I agreed that the new, clean design of the place made us feel like we were hanging out at the island in a friend's (albeit a very wealthy friend's) large, open kitchen in an equally large, open beach house. Well done. 

And then, not to let Sunday be outdone by Saturday, Tod talked me into hopping back on the bikes this morning and heading over the bridge to Mount Pleasant for lunch (to one of our favorite weekend lunch spots, Whole Foods). Was it a very difficult ride? Yes, of course it was. After all, beach cruisers aren't exactly made for hills, a lesson we learned when a pedal on one of the bikes became loose, necessitating a pit stop at a local bike shop on the way home. (The pit stop at the bike shop also involved me picking out a hula girl bell for my handlebars, which you know I rang the whole way home, much to everyone around me's annoyance.) Anyway, despite the difficulty, or maybe even because of it, our trek across the Cooper River was totally worth it; in fact, it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be if I'm going to be totally honest here. 


Tod challenged himself not to stop until he got to the top, so he soon got very far ahead of me. I, on the other hand, was busy being a total cheeseball, stopping to take pictures and to ooh and aah at the dolphins swimming below and the amazing views of the Holy City. 



Lo and behold, you run into the darnedest people on that bridge, like my dear friend Janice!






Do you see the person in the orange? Well, look to the left of him, and you can sort of see Tod, very patiently waiting for me at the top. 



Like I said, total cheeseball. Vigorous exercise does that to me, I guess.


You know, the part of me that absolutely fell in love with the Eiffel Tower when I lived in Paris (especially when it lit up and twinkled at night) must be the same part of me that has absolutely fallen in love with this bridge. Like, I really, really love it. It's awe-inspiring.


Thanks to gravity, the way down was a lot easier than the way up. That being said, however, the way down also was a heck of a lot scarier than the way up because who knew a beach cruiser could go so fast down a bridge? I'm not sure if my legs are going to be more sore tomorrow from pedaling uphill than my hands will be from the death grip I had on the handlebars on the way down. Despite all that, for a minute or two there, I'm pretty sure that Tod and I both felt about nine years-old again.




Okay, enough blathering about our silly weekend. But I will say that I hope you were able to cram as much fun into your weekend as we were able to in ours. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nan - what a weekend. Felt like I was in Charleston. Did you see any aprons at the market? I noticed a typo - or was it? I know, "typos happen". Can you find it? Freudian, perhaps? kiup

Nan said...

Ah, the inevitable peddle/pedal/petal confusion. I fixed it; thanks!

Anonymous said...

This post made me miss Charleston - and you! - so much. A visit is in order... LAJC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...