8/6/11

0 Squash Casserole

When Tod and I wandered through the farmers' market last Saturday morning, I was absolutely blown away by these gorgeous peppers.


And then I was even more amazed by the mountains of yellow squash. (I tried to grow yellow squash in a large pot last summer not knowing that it's actually a vine, so let's just say that didn't work out so well for me. This summer I'm leaving the squash growing to the real farmers.)


My mom and I must be on the same summer vegetable wavelength (although I think squash is actually a fruit) because even though she didn't know that I had admired these beauties last weekend, she emailed me this week with hew new favorite squash casserole recipe.

My parents' friend and neighbor (Hi, Sandy!) prepared this when they all got together for supper recently, and it was a hit. I believe the recipe originally came from one of the Greenville Junior League's cookbooks, Uptown Down South, although I think Sandy modified it a bit.



My mom described Sandy's casserole like this, and I quote: "definitely not the squash cass. i used to try to make and and force y'all to eat.  now, not to trash the wonderful traditional squash casserole with all that good stuff that really is just mushy yellow stuff. anyway, you and tod would love this too. and the cold leftovers are to fight over. . . . and wow, so beautiful, so yummy, so very simple, and all the ingredients are available now fresh. . . . the shaved parm melts a bit better and is so pretty [ ]. this old dog is still learning new tricks."


I love my mom's emails; they always make me smile. 


Anyway, here's the recipe.


Ingredients: (and these can be modified for quantity or based on your personal preferences)




4 yellow squash (from your farmer's market hopefully?)
3 zucchini
1 medium Vidalia onion
1/2 cup shaved parmagiano reggiano (the good stuff--not the stuff from the green can)
Butter, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 fresh tomatoes (If tomatoes are not in season, then just substitute 1 large can of diced tomatoes.) 
Olive oil, to taste


DIrections:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Thinly slice the squash, zuchini, and onion. 
Shave the parmagiano reggiano if you purchased it in block form. 
Chop the tomatoes, leaving the skin on.
In a large bowl, mix the squash, onion, tomatoes, and cheese. Add salt and pepper and a bit of butter.
Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish. (Grease the baking dish with olive oil if that's your style.) 
Drizzle olive oil on top and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.


You can serve this dish warm, at room temperature, or cold. Enjoy!

(It looks like my mom has used grape tomatoes in this one.)   


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...