9/2/11

2 Library Day

I stopped by the library this afternoon to return a few items and to check out a few more. Here are some notables. (You can click on the pictures to go to the items' Amazon pages.)

I returned Bossypants (on CD) by Tina Fey. Although the picture on the cover of this book is pretty hard to look at, I loved listening to the book. She's funny and smart; the book is well-written and entertaining; and, assuming you have even the slightest sense of humor, you'll like it regardless of your politics or your personal feelings about her. It's a great book for a long car ride. 
 

One of my favorite parts was her prayer for her daughter, and it's really too funny not to include here. But because I have a healthy respect for copyright laws, I'll just link to another site and let them worry about the legality of it all. You can read Tina's "A Mother's Prayer for Her Daughter" here.


I picked up EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals, and although I've only had a chance to briefly peruse it, a couple of recipes have already jumped out at me: first, arugula salad with goat cheese, avocado, and pomegranate and, second, grits with fresh corn and goat cheese. Come to think of it, maybe I'm just in the mood for goat cheese. 





On the subject of food, I also picked up Foodista Best of Food Blogs. I haven't had a chance to look through this one yet, but even if the recipes don't speak to me, I figure I'll still enjoy discovering some new food blogs.





As far as fiction goes, I checked out the last book in The Hunger Games trilogy, Mockingjay by Susanne Collins. I cannot wait to finish the series, and I am so looking forward to the movies for these books, which, rumor has it, are being filmed in North Carolina right now. I also checked out Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. I do not know much about this one, but it was my book club's pick last month so I thought I'd check it out. (I'm a little behind on my book club reading.)
















I always like to have books on CD in the car, but they can be hit or miss. Plus, I'm not the world's best auditory learner. I like to finish things that I start, but if a book on CD doesn't capture my attention after one CD, then I typically give up on it. I'm okay with that though. 

Anyway, I picked up these three books on CD today, and I'll just have to see if any of them speak to me. (It's going to be hard to follow Bossypants because it was so entertaining, but I'm ever hopeful.)



What books are you reading or listening to right now? Better yet, do you have any suggestions for me? I'm always on the lookout for a few suggestions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't read it yet, but I heard this new book called Catcher in the Rye is pretty decent.

Nan said...

you're so funny, tod.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...