9/30/11

2 Slow Cookin'

Forget about football. You know what I have to say about fall?  Well, basically, for me fall is crock pot, ahem, slow cooker, season. Or at least it's the time of year when you can bust out your slow cooker and get excited about the colder weather that is to come. 


I love my slow cooker, which just so happens to be a crock pot. Why? Because I don't follow recipes very well and I much prefer to cook without measuring things, which--I admit--can be a recipe for disaster, but--lucky for me--not with a slow cooker. Seriously, slow cookers work miracles. Oh, also, using a slow cooker makes your house smell like you're a much better cook than you really are.


So, when I ended up with a gigantic bag of leftover vegetables after last weekend's tailgating birthday party, what do you think I did? Yep, you guessed it. I busted out my crock pot and made vegetable soup. Thankfully, I had everything that I needed on hand so I was able to throw it together very quickly one day while I was home on my lunch break.







It's all pretty self-explanatory, but basically, I diced an onion, chopped some garlic, cut up some already-sliced squash, zucchini, and grape tomatoes, sliced the leftover baby carrots and celery, and threw it all in the crock pot with two cans of diced tomatoes, a can of V-8, a carton of low-sodium vegetable broth, and a whole bunch of random spices (basil, oregano, white pepper, red pepper, salt, and some sort of roasted garlic herb mix). After 4.5 hours on high, I had some very homemade vegetable soup, which fortunately for me (since I'll be eating it for a while) turned out to be delicious. 







By the way, do you see the plant behind the crock pot (to the left)? Those are the little orange seeds that I planted in April. I'm so proud.

2 comments:

Riki said...

What lucky babies!

Anonymous said...

Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...