10/31/11

0 2011 Charleston Mac Off

Macaroni and cheese ranks right up there with the wheel and the telephone on the list of man's greatest inventions, at least if you ask me. Seriously, macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite things on the planet, so when I saw an advertisement for a macaroni and cheese cook-off between various local restaurants (15 or 16 in all), I was pretty excited. And because Tod feels the same way I do about good food, live music, and cold beer, we bought tickets--along with about 2,000 other macaroni and cheese lovers--and called it a date.














Tod, who is a complete sucker for quality cookware, naturally fell for the macaroni and cheese being served out of Le Creuset French Ovens. (To his credit, it was delicious.)



And I, who am a complete sucker for interesting fried food, naturally fell for the macaroni and cheese egg rolls. I know--ridiculous--but these were so good that I sort of wish I'd never tried them. I also wish I did not know that they are a regular part of King Street Grille's menu.


Importantly, despite our previous ideas to the contrary, there is a limit to the amount of macaroni and cheese that a person can comfortably eat at one time--a limit that we unfortunately reached before we had the chance to try every restaurant's sample. But in all, we had a great time, and we rolled home (on our bikes, not our bellies, although that may have been an option) happy, full, and with an even greater appreciation for quality mac and cheese. 


 Speaking of which, I think I know what I'd like to eat for supper tonight . . . . 


Update: I just so happened to have a box of Joe's Diner Macaroni and Cheese in the freezer (from Trader Joe's), and it was delicious! Cheddar, Swiss, Havarti, and Gouda . . . what more could a girl want?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...