10/4/11

1 A Sewing Sunday

So I told y'all about our recent trip to the mill, and I told y'all about how I like to sew baby quilts. Well, as it turns out, sewing baby clothes is also pretty fun. So when my mom and I found ourselves seriously inspired after our trip to the mill, we did what any other slightly OCD mother-daughter duo would do, and we spent an entire Sunday sewing baby t-shirts and onesies, 39 of them in all. Whew. 


Wanna see? 


Well, here's what you start with: a baby t-shirt or a baby onesie. (By the way, the quality of the photographs in this post is horrible. Apparently, I was too excited about making stuff to care about lighting.)



Then, remember all of those buttons we found at the mill? Well, we dumped the buttons into a large bowl and pulled out all of the other sewing materials we had on hand (like random fabric, rick rack, ribbon, and appliques) and went to town. Seriously, we went to town, I mean T.J. Maxx, . . . to buy more onesies and t-shirts when we could not stop making these things! 




















I would arrange something one way . . . 











. . . and then I'd change my mind and arrange it another way.










I also cut shapes out of paper to make stencils for iron-on patches.












Of course, the boots were not complete without a sewn-on button for a spur. So what if the button is actually shaped like a flower. Use your imagination, folks.

















We added lace, rick rack, and various embroidery to make the tiny wrap t-shirts and onesies even more precious. I mean, how can you even handle all of this preciousness?








I got creative with some fish-shaped buttons and sailboat embroidery.





And I found a green sequined recycling symbol applique at the mill for $1 and added it to this onesie . . . because babies like to recycle too.







And we sewed gathered brown ribbon and buttons on several onesies to resemble a necklace . . . albeit a necklace for the crunchy, granola babies in my life. I'm sure you will agree that there's just something so great about a baby rocking a hippie style. 





















But, of course, for all of the chic, Coco Chanel babies in my life, I came up with something a bit splashier.






This white embroidery resembled pearls when we sewed it on, and luckily I had picked up several somewhat cheesy gold and pearly buttons at the mill. Et voila. 




Here's another bling-y one for a little diva.















And then for this one, we sewed on some embroidered fish, and then my mom cut off the cuff of a men's dress shirt and transformed it into a collar. Brilliant! 










We added fabric ties for little baby boys. 




And my personal favorites are the ones where I got extra crafty with some denim, rick rack, ribbon, and buttons to create camera-toting babies!




Oh, remember my baby tutu? Here are some in-progress pictures.



































And now, because it's always more fun to look at a giant collection of something, you better believe that at the end of our sewing Sunday, we laid everything out on the bed and stood there with re-filled glasses of wine just admiring all of the quirky, homemade ridiculousness. As for Penny, well, judging by her body language in this picture, I'm not sure she's as fond as we are of baby onesies and t-shirts (or even of babies for that matter).




The Christmas tree on a string looks more like one of those air fresheners that hangs from the rearview mirror than a holiday decoration, but maybe that's not a bad thing. I mean, we all know that babies don't smell like Strawberry Shortcake dolls all the time.




Which one is your favorite? 


1 comments:

Lauren said...

Eeeek! Oh my! How can you pick just one! They are all just insanely cute! I soo need a sewing machine.... then again maybe not. :/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...