11/29/11

0 Cookie Monster

As I told y'all in my last post, I made Heath bar chocolate chip cookies from scratch last week (as part of November's list of 30). And because I know you're positively dying for the recipe, here you go . . . .



When I thought about making cookies from scratch, I knew I wanted to include Heath bar bits in some way, shape, or form. I checked out several cookie recipe books from the library, but when it came down to it, all I needed was Google. I searched for "Heath bar chocolate chip cookies," and one of the first hits was a blog called Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life, which is written by a darling girl named Courtney. (Click here to check out her post about the Heath bar cookies.) 


She adapted the recipe from allrecipes.com, and it's really quite simple, even for a cookie-baking novice like me.




Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 cup Toffee Heath Bar bits
  • 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:


1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease cookie sheets.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until well blended.
3. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Then mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips and Heath bar bits using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough with a cookie scoop onto the prepared cookie sheets.
5. Bake larger cookies for 11 to 13 minutes or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool the cookies on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

I simply used a large spoon to mix everything, and I skipped the whole wire rack business, but the cookies still turned out great, so I'm thinking this is one of those recipes that you really can't screw up too much. I baked the cookies for approximately 13 minutes, and the batter resulted in 25 fairly large cookies. Everyone seemed to enjoy them--I know I did--so I'll try to make these again soon. If I get really ambitious, I might even make another batch or two to share with my neighbors and co-workers for Christmas. 

Thanks, Courtney, for a great recipe! (By the way, click here to read Courtney's blog and to find more sweet recipes.)


UPDATE: I was just perusing Courtney's blog and stumbled upon her post about Nutella chocolate chip cookies. (Click here.) Yep, you read that right: Nutella chocolate chip cookies. Holy hazelnuts, sign me up for some of those. And Santa, maybe you ought to throw in a pair of pajama jeans for me this year; looks like I might need 'em if I'm not careful. 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...