11/3/11

4 Payback

Do you remember when the phones in your house had cords? I do. 

And I also remember when my mom would be talking on one of those corded phones in the evening after supper (the phone in the kitchen with the really long, tangly cord), and I would bug her to death until she got off the phone and paid more attention to me. Imagine that.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I was not deterred that much when my mom glared at me and sternly muttered, "I'm on the phone, Nan. Not now." Because the thing about a phone with a cord is that there's only so far a person can travel with it. So when my mom would glare at me and walk ten feet in one direction, then back to the middle, and then ten feet in the other direction, I'm pretty sure you could find me skipping around her feet, dancing, prancing--you know, just generally bugging her until she got off the phone and paid more attention to me. And when that handset hit the cradle, I'd tell her whatever I wanted to tell her, or maybe I would have forgotten what I had to tell her by then, but regardless, I'd taste victory.

But now I understand all too well how annoying this battle is. Yes, I guess you can call it payback. Because when I sit down at the computer, whether to check my email or blog or whatever, I, too, have a little girl skipping around my feet, dancing, prancing--you know, just generally annoying me until I pick her up and let her sit in my lap, which only satisfies her for so long. 


Because before I know it, she's climbed aboard the table, maybe even tapped out a few keystrokes on the computer, and totally distracted me from whatever it was I was doing. I bet she tastes victory, too, the second those precious front paws of hers hit the table. So I guess it's true what they say about payback: it's a bitch.




4 comments:

* said...

This post is BEGGING for a comment from my folks.

Anonymous said...

OmG! Guess you heard about the time a little toddler, near and dear to us realized that dancing around and getting tangled in the cord was a futile attention grabber, so the kitchen scissors proved to be a permanent "disconnect", therefore all of his Momma's attention! Keep the scissors away from Zelly or stay wireless!

* said...

Apparently Nan didn't know that story. Ugh.

Nan said...

But now I do! And what a great story it is . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...