2/11/12

1 Full Circle

So we had ourselves a bit of a yard (parking lot) sale this morning. And as any good yard saler knows, an ad in the newspaper is worth its weight in gold (crumply dollar bills).  So Tod put an ad in The (Sumter) Item for Thursday and Friday--an ad that said our sale would start at 8--so naturally, the droves arrived at, oh, 6:45. a.m. The moon was out. Not the sun. So yes, while Tod and I were very busy lugging our wares out of the house, salt-of-the-earth junk collectors were very busy perusing them with flashlights, gathering up our goods just as quickly as we could bring them outside. And yes, I just said flashlights. But don't worry, the early birds got the worms. (You know, now that I think about it, I'm not really sure whether Tod and I are the birds or the worms in that scenario, but I think you see what I mean.) Anyway, business was steady for a couple hours, and thankfully, the sun rose quickly, although I cannot say the same for the temperature. It was chilly. And windy. But yard salers are dedicated folks so the weather didn't seem to keep them away.


At about 11, I'd had enough. (I think Tod had enough a while before that, but he was an excellent sport.) We gathered up the remaining goods and decided what to keep and what to donate to charity, and we counted our gold (crumply dollar bills). And you know what? We did pretty well for ourselves. It was a worthwhile venture after all. And that's fun.


Obviously, this was taken after our moonlight shoppers had come and gone.
So I know what you're thinking now: you want to know what we're going to do with all those crumply dollar bills. Well, first we're going to share some with Tod's family members who graciously provided items for our sale. And second, well, we've already gone and done it. 


First, we treated ourselves to lunch. (We split a huge turkey sub at Firehouse Subs for those of you who enjoy having too much information.) And yes, when Tod unfurled his wad of cash to pay for lunch, the cashier, who was a young guy, asked Tod if he was a stripper. No joke. (My feelings were only a little bit hurt.) 


Second--and this is the fun part--Tod and I headed straight to the jewelry store to check out our wedding bands, which a very talented jeweler at Galloway & Moseley expertly crafted for us. Literally, he made them, although I think the correct term is "forged." (He forged them from the same stock of rose gold that he used to make my engagement ring, which I think is pretty neat.) We are absolutely delighted with them, and what's more, it was such a treat to plunk down our wad of crumply dollar bills and put them towards something so special; our yard sale efforts were in no way for naught. Everything really does come full circle, doesn't it? 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!! Glad y'all it was a success!
-Brian B.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...