6/14/12

1 Bikes

It's no secret that Tod and I enjoy riding our beach cruisers around town. And although I may not be the most coordinated person in the world (I blame it on my high center of gravity), riding bikes is the perfect way to get around Charleston. 


But you know what? On our honeymoon, we discovered that there are a whole lot of people on this planet who like bikes (and rely on them) a whole lot more than we do. 


They're called Europeans.


Bikes in Basel.
More bikes in Basel.
Tod enjoyed pretending that some of the bikes were his.
Amsterdammers are quite creative with their bikes.
See what I mean?
Bikes and tulips, two of the most common sights in Amsterdam. 
A line of bikes, and then a line to get into the Anne Frank House.
Bikes line most of the canals in Amsterdam. 

Well hello, it looks like Belgians like their bikes too!


On our last afternoon in Amsterdam, Tod and I--or, I guess I should just say I because Tod was ready to ride the whole time--finally mustered up enough courage to rent bikes and take them for a spin. 


Before hitting the main roads, we rode through Amsterdam's largest park, Vondelpark. 


I, as usual, acted like a total ham. It seems I think I'm quite hilarious at times. 


Although it looks like I'm racing the girl beside me in the next picture, look closely and you'll notice that she's actually stopped on the side of the road. I may have been riding fast--frog legs and all--but I was not racing her. No, I was doing that whole Wizard of Oz bike ride scene. (Can't you just hear that "dun-da-nun-da-nuh-nuh" song?)

Tod rode his bike like a normal person.
A total natural! That's my husband!

Once we were sufficiently warmed up, we headed out to the main roads.
It was exhilarating. 
Check out all those bikes in the background.
So exhilarating, in fact, that we decided to take a break at a cafe in our favorite area of Amsterdam, the Nine Streets area, to toast our bravery.

Fully refreshed, we left the cafe and continued riding around the city until our rental time expired.

I'm so, so glad we rented bikes. Thanks, Tod, for talking me into it!

Okay, so if you've got time for one more honeymoon/bike-related story, then I've got one for you. (If you've read this far, then I'm guessing that you've got time, right?)

One day in Basel, Tod and I ate lunch at an outdoor cafe by the Rhine. The view from our table was incredible, as you can see below.(And we ate schnitzel and bratwurst, if you're curious. Basel is mainly German-speaking, after all.)


Anyway, I looked over and saw this bike and fell in love with the adorable polka-dotted seat cover.
I'd never seen such a cute bike seat cover before, and I joked with Tod that if the whole law thing doesn't work out for me, then I'll just start making these things and selling them at the farmers' market. I think they'd be a huge hit. (Okay, maybe not a quit-your-day-job kind of hit, but a hit nonetheless. Can't you see them in college themes?)

Luckily for me, when we were strolling through Amsterdam a few days later, we spotted a bike shop that sold the cute covers. For about ten dollars, I couldn't resist bringing one home. Imagine that.

It's appropriately Dutch-themed, wouldn't you say?
We put her on my bike a few nights ago, and it's definitely one of my new favorite things.


Right on up there with my hula girl bell. 
We discovered a few nights later that the seat is merely water-resistant (it feels like those old-school picnic tablecloths) and not waterproof, but it's still one of my new favorite things.
The craziest thing about this picture is the outfit I'm wearing in June in Charleston. It was chilly!
So there you have it, a blog post all about bikes. Hope you enjoyed it!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tink - love it all and sooooooo glad your blog is back. Missed it! Miss you more tho.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...