11/1/12

1 Frog and Toad Together

After blogging for so many days in a row, it just felt weird not to blog today, so I guess it's true what they say about it taking 21 days to make or break a habit.

Anyway, I thought I'd share some pics of our wedding save-the-dates, invitations, and response cards.

First up: the response cards, because those were the first things I found, and they set the tone for everything else.

One day back in January, Mom and I were randomly wandering through the PetHelpers thrift shop when we stumbled upon a carousel of vintage post cards, unused vintage postcards I should say. They were from places all over the Southeast, from someone's travels all over the Southeast I guess, likely from someone prone to collecting like me. It was love at first sight, and I instantly knew I wanted to use them for our wedding response cards. 

We'd concocted our guest list by that point so for the next hour I went through stacks and stacks of cards, picking out my favorites and choosing cards featuring places that might make sense to particular people. For example, my brother-in-law and sister are Georgia fans; their postcard pictured a boys' dormitory on the campus. Tod's sister lives in Nashville; she received a card picturing the Tennessee capitol building. A friend who went to W&L received a card from the campus, and a friend who has a house in Cashiers received a card from there. Anyway, I really did have the best time going through all of the cards and matching cards to guests. I always liked those matching tests as a kid, come to think of it.

This picture is terrible, but you can see the happy colors of the cards and appreciate the vintage feel of them. Like I said, love at first sight. 

I hand-wrote the details on the cards and included them with the invitations--no calligraphy and no fancy tissue paper for us.

And since you saw a glimpse of it in the above picture, I'll go ahead and tell you about the wedding invitations. Again, it was a love-at-first-sight thing. I found them at the RSVP Shoppe down the street from our house, and I would have bought them right then and there, but Tod wasn't with me, and I wanted him to see them before I bought them, you know, in case he didn't want to be depicted as a frog/toad on his wedding invitation.

Here's a close-up of the illustration.



(Did any of you read those Frog and Toad books as a kid? I did. I loved them, and I think these invitations sort of have the same feel as the illustrations in those books, hence the title of this post, Frog and Toad Together, which was one of my favorites.) 

Anyway, as it turns out, Tod was totally cool with the frog invites; he's a good sport like that. And yes, we still laugh from time to time about how our wedding invitations had frogs on them. Because who does that? Well, we do. But really, why not? 

Okay, last story: the save-the-dates.

We were going to skip this step since we were having such a small wedding without too many months to plan, but when I found the vintage postcards, we thought it might be fun to stick with our postcard theme and send out postcards from Pawleys. We checked out the Hammock Shops one weekend, and Tod spied these pretties.


As luck would have it, the store had just enough of these cards; we bought all of them. I hand-wrote something simple on the back and popped them in the mail. Casual, personal, simple, exactly like we wanted.

Okay, now, I just need to find the time to get some of these things framed to hang in our house! Another day's project, I guess . . . 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are back, we are back, please, please, please kiup.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...