10/1/13

0 Since I've Been Gone

In the slightly altered words of Kelly Clarkson, the title of this post acknowledges the fact that I've been gone for some time. Because I'm fully aware of that. But it's been with good reason. Good reasons, actually.

A half marathon, for example. (Check that off the Project Thirteen list!)
Tod and the girls patiently waited for me to cross the finish line, for which I will be forever thankful. (They waited for a while . . . I'm a slow half marathoner.) 





And speaking of the Project Thirteen list, I cooked another magazine recipe: Alton Brown's baked macaroni and cheese.


And we attended another random ticketed event: a beautiful sunset cruise in the Charleston harbor, thanks to Tod's parents.


We really do live in such a beautiful city, and it's always great to see it from another perspective. 








In accordance with Project Thirteen, I've also been reading more classics and learning new words, like these three from E.M. Forster's A Passage to India

Excrescence: noun
  1. 1.
    a distinct outgrowth on a human or animal body or on a plant, esp. one that is the result of disease or abnormality.
     
Pleasaunce:noun
  1. 1.
    a secluded enclosure or part of a garden, esp. one attached to a large house.
Excrescence is on the top left; pleasaunce is on the bottom right.

Calumniate: verb
formal

  1. 1.
    make false and defamatory statements about.
Calumniate is on the fourth line up from the bottom, right side.



Oh, and let's see, what else has happened since I've been gone? Well, Tod has turned another year older. (Yay!) The government has shut down. (Boo.) The Gamecocks have won a few. (Yay!) And lost one. (Boo.) Oh, and we bought our first house! (Yay!) (More yays than boos means we're doing okay, right?)

We are now the proud owners of this dirty-carpeted, yellow-walled townhouse! For all you National Lampoon's fans, yes, she's a real beaut. We've got our work cut out for ourselves as we attempt to bring her from '67 to '13, but I've never met a project I didn't like. (Except for that one time I bought a vintage floor lamp from Goodwill, tried to spray paint it, and ended up with so many streaks that I got frustrated and threw the whole damn thing in the trashcan and called it a day. I did not like that project. Oh, and I did not like science projects. You can ask my dad about that, because I'm pretty sure he's the one who learned the most from those things. Thanks, dad!) Anyway, we're still in the planning phase, but we've got some great ideas and I'll try to keep you posted.

And now, just so you don't think Tod and I are the only ones with a life around here, Zelda wants me to let you know she's been keeping busy, too.

Because, you know, those long, fall sunbaths are really quite time-consuming.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...