2/23/14

1 Kitchen Love

When we first saw our new house, I hated it. Like, the very first thing I said to Tod after walking out was, "I hate that house." 

So naturally we bought it (about three weeks later). 

The short story: I had a realization (translation: sleepless night) a few days after we first viewed it, and the only thing I can say is that I saw what the house could be--I saw its potential. Because beneath the gross parts (almost everything), it really did have potential; most importantly though, it had the one thing about which we were not willing to compromise: location. And as for the gross parts, I just figured that once we removed those (again, almost everything), we'd be left with a blank slate. A blank slate to make our own. 

Sold!

The kitchen we purchased was yellow and blue with sticky brown cabinets, crunchy linoleum floors, and archaic appliances. It came complete with some creature's droppings in the drawers, and it was definitely one of the reasons I hated the house so much. It. was. gross. 




See the washing machine? We moved that but kept the plumbing to add a pot-filler faucet behind the range!
Just in case you didn't believe me about the droppings.
A few weeks after we closed, it was demolition time. We knocked out the obstructive coat closet between the front door and the kitchen, as well as the tall, skinny, ridiculous pantry that stretched the length of the kitchen. We rid ourselves of the brown, sticky cabinets, and we opened up the totally wasted space above the upper cabinets. It looked a million times better already.




Getting rid of the totally obtrusive pantry certainly opened up the space.



The HVAC system (including the ductwork) was in terrible condition, and it made the most sense to bite the bullet and replace it all while we were already down to the studs. One plus-side to taking on this additional project: the popcorn ceilings came down, and it was easy to add canned lights and other fixtures.



We knew exactly what we wanted our new kitchen to look like (modern white cabinets, open shelving, lots of white tile, and some sort of stone countertop) so the planning stage was simple, and quite fun actually. 

The new sheetrock and the  backerboard for our planned wall o' tile went in quickly.



We chose our appliances and our floors with ease, and after one too many glasses of wine one night I splashed out on a super fancy farmhouse sink that weighs a million pounds. (wine + the internet + a home renovation = a dangerous situation)

I had the best time planning the kitchen layout (with input from Tod, of course). I measured. I drew. I measured again. I drew again. And in the end, I was pretty sure we could fit a full-sized dishwasher, a tall pantry cabinet, and even a trashcan drawer (so fun!). I spent one Friday afternoon at Home Depot with Sue the cabinet lady (hi Sue!), and a few weeks later (after those folks in Vermont did their thing), we were in business.



When we took the picture for our New Year's/change of address postcard, the hardwood floors were down and the new ceilings were up. 



Then it was time for the tile, the marble, and that lovely farmhouse sink . . . (which required some cabinet rigging, but we love it and are glad we could make it work).




After a whole lot of planning and more than a few sleepless nights (I'm sure there were some tears thrown in there, too), things were starting to come together. 



The appliances arrived right on time . . .




And it's official. We no longer hate this house or its kitchen. In fact, I'd even say that we love this house, and we definitely love its kitchen--our kitchen. It's perfectly us and much roomier than we ever could have imagined. 



**Since moving in, we've added the cabinet and drawer pulls and the open shelving along the tile, but those are stories to themselves so I'll share those details another time.

So . . . what do y'all think? 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, Nan! Your kitchen looks amazing! Put up more pictures of before and after, please! How about some bathrooms? :)
-LJC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...